Greenburgh is a town in the western part of Westchester County, New York, United States. It is bordered by the city of Yonkers on the south, the town of Mount Pleasant to the north, and to the east by the city of White Plains and the town of Scarsdale. The western boundary is the Hudson River. The Tappan Zee Bridge connects Tarrytown in Greenburgh with South Nyack in Orangetown, New York.
The Romer-Van Tassel House served as the first town hall from 1793 into the early 19th century. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Other locations on the National Register are the Church of St. Joseph of Arimathea and Odell House. The Spanish American War Monument to the 71st Infantry Regiment in Mount Hope Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Roughly half of town’s population lies within the town’s six incorporated villages. The rest of the population lives in the unincorporated area of the town of Greenburgh, outside any villages. The six villages are Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington, and Tarrytown. The unincorporated area of Greenburgh consists of the formerly rural areas of the town outside the villages. While hamlets are not recognized as municipal entities in New York State, most properties in unincorporated Greenburgh are classified within one of the town’s three federally recognized zones, each known as a census-designated place, which generally correspond to a fire district.